American Water
American Water  
HomeContact UsPress RoomInvestor RelationsCorporate ResponsibilityCareersLearning Center

Turning Service On/Off

If you are a new customer
Turning the water on for customers served by existing water mains

Turning your residential water services to your home on and off has never been easier. With our new self-service website, My H2O Online, you can set up your account, keep track of your water use and pay your bill when it is convenient for you. You can even request a time to have your service turned on or off.

Commercial customers may call us at 877.426.6999 – residential customers can call as well – and one of our experienced customer service representatives will be ready to help. We’re ready 24 hours a day to assist the person responsible for paying the bill.

For a new residence with a new service, we will install a meter and turn on the water. Someone should be home at the time of the meter installation to prevent any overflow in case a faucet or other water device has been accidentally left on inside. For a residence where water is already being provided, you want to be sure that you are only charged for the water you use. We will visit your residence to read the meter and start your billing with an actual reading. This also applies for most seasonal accounts. If you were not previously an American Water customer, a deposit may be required in accordance with our tariff and PSC regulations.

If your property is not served by an existing water main, please contact our Customer Service Center at 877.426.6999 prior to any planning and construction to determine whether service can be provided to your area.

If you are an existing customer
To stop service when you are moving, or to shut off seasonal service, you can use our new self-service website, My H2O Online or call us at 877.426.6999 three to five business days prior to moving or turning off your seasonal service. This will enable us to schedule a final meter reading and ensure that you are only charged for water used.

Be ready to tell us the date service should be stopped, to arrange for a final meter reading, and to provide us with your final billing address. And don’t forget to have your service address, billing address and telephone number handy.

If your water is turned off due to nonpayment
If your water service is has been turned off due to nonpayment, to restore your water service, you must pay the amount due, plus a reconnection fee, by visiting the nearest payment location. Once payment is made, immediately contact us at 1-877-426-6999 to schedule an appointment to restore your service. Please have your receipt or payment verification number ready to provide to the customer service representative.

Special Protections
New York American Water will not turn off water service for some customers without following certain notification procedures to ensure that their health and safety are safeguarded. The only way we will know if you are eligible for this special protection is to tell us, so please review the below and if any apply, contact our Customer Service Center at 1-877-426-6999. Special protections apply to the following:

Senior Citizens, Blind or Disabled: If you are 62 years of age or older, blind or disabled, and/or any other remaining residents of the household are known to or identified to the utility to be blind, disabled, 62 years of age or older, or 18 years of age or under, we will take special steps to keep your service on. This includes contacting you before service is turned off, and, if needed, providing you with contact information for a local social services agency. Nassau County Social Services: (516) 571-8635.

Medical Emergency: If you or a family member is ill and you cannot pay the water bill, you can file a medical certificate with us from your doctor or Health Department. This certificate remains in effect for 30 days. During this time, we will not turn off your water. However, you are still responsible for paying the bill, and a payment arrangement may be made. The certificate can be renewed for another 30-60 days. A letter will be mailed to the customer to confirm receipt of the initial medical certification. This letter will include information about the renewal procedures. If you need to renew this medical certification, please contact us before the initial certification for the first 30 days has expired; otherwise your water service may be turned off.

  • To obtain a medical emergency certification, the customer must take the following steps:
  • Have the doctor or nurse practitioner complete and sign a Medical Emergency Certificate Application.
  • Have the doctor or nurse practitioner certify in writing on his/her letterhead that the person with the medical emergency is seriously ill or is afflicted with a medical condition that would be aggravated by the termination of water service.
  • As the customer, you must also provide a statement of your assets, income and expenses.
  • Fax the completed and signed medical certification, cover letter on the physician’s letterhead, and customer statement of assets, income and expenses to our Customer Service Center at 1-618-433-4499.
  • Call our Customer Service Center at 1-877-426-6999 to confirm receipt of the completed and signed medical certification application.

Third-Party Notification: To protect yourself from having the service turned off because you forgot to pay the bill, you can name a relative, friend or agency to receive a copy of your Final Termination Notice when your bill is overdue. The third party will not be responsible for paying your bill, but can help make sure that your service is continued.

Fixed Income: People on fixed incomes sometimes find it hard to pay bills by the due date. You can arrange to pay your bill on a different date based on when you receive your income. This is particularly useful to avoid a Late Payment charge.

Heat Related Service: If an interruption in your water service would jeopardize your home’s heating system, and therefore your health and safety, special arrangements can be made to avoid having your water turned off for nonpayment during the cold weather period from November 1 to April 15. Before service is turned off, we will contact you personally to verify your situation. We may refer you to a social services agency for assistance.

Life Support Equipment: If water service is critical to operate life support equipment, such as kidney dialysis, and you find it a hardship to pay the bill, register with us and we will not turn off your water for as long as you need the equipment.

Tenants in a Multiple Dwelling: If a landlord does not pay the water bill, we will notify tenants via a posting at the dwelling 15 days before service is scheduled to be turned off to give them an opportunity to pay the bill. Under New York State law, to keep service on, tenants may pay current charges and deduct them from the rent.

Tenants in a Two-Family Dwelling: A two-family dwelling is a house where two families live independently of each other, but water service is not billed separately. Where we know a two-family dwelling exists, if the landlord has not paid the bill, we will notify the tenants via a posting at the dwelling 15 days before service is scheduled to be turned off. Under New York State law, to keep service on, a tenant may pay the current charges and deduct them from the rent.