American Water is a leading provider of granular activated carbon (GAC) – a filter medium used to remove organic materials during water treatment and control water taste and odor. We are the only U.S. provider of custom GAC reactivation services in North America.
Our Carbon Services Group has the right carbon to best fit several specific treatment applications. We offer three types of GAC:
- Virgin GAC – We remove, reactivate and dispose of spent GAC from the treatment facility and replace it with the proper volume of virgin GAC, produced from raw materials.
- Reactivated GAC – We remove and reactivate spent GAC and add virgin GAC as make-up to replace all losses incurred at the treatment facility. The proper volume is returned to the facility.
- Custom Blended GAC – We remove and reactivate spent GAC and add virgin GAC to create a custom blend of virgin/reactivated GAC proportioned to be most cost-effective. The proper volume is returned to the treatment facility.
American Water also offers a wide range of services related to GAC and other filter media, including:
- GAC Analysis
- Plant Operations/Optimization
- Media Change-Outs
- Media Supply
- Media Disposal
- Media Equipment and Vessels
- Emergency/Temporary Services