OUR MILITARY COMMITMENT
You provided a vital service to your country by volunteering to serve in America’s military. Now you have the opportunity to serve again by joining a company that provides a vital resource to over 15 million people nationwide. At American Water, you will work as part of a diverse team, either in the field, our state or Department of Defense (DOD) locations or in our corporate offices, to help complete projects and maintain services that are critical to sustaining this nation’s water infrastructure. We foster an environment of safety, integrity and community service in order grow our company and create a future of success.
Military Focused Efforts
Michael Rich, director of corporate procurement, and Walter Lynch, chief executive officer (retired), accept 2020 Freedom Award on the Camden Waterfront.
In January 2017, American Water enhanced its leave policy to extend benefits to those called to duty and their families. We’ve also signed a statement of support for our employees who are veterans of the National Guard and Reserve.
Walter Lynch, whose father served as a reservist, is a graduate of West Point and understands how a military background benefits employee and the company. Signing the statement was particularly special for him.
“About six percent of our employees are military veterans, so we have firsthand knowledge of the tremendous value they bring to our organization,” Walter stated. “Much of the skill and training they received in the military can be easily applied to jobs in the water and wastewater industry, such as engineering, IT and operations.”
The Statement of Support signed by American Water pledges
- We fully recognize, honor and comply with the Uniformed Services Employment and Re-Employment Rights Act (USERRA).
- We will provide our managers and supervisors with the tools they need to effectively manage those employees who serve in the Guard and Reserve.
- We appreciate the values, leadership and unique skills service members bring to the workforce and will encourage opportunities to hire Guardsmen, Reservists and Veterans.
- We will continually recognize and support our country’s Service members and their families in peace, in crisis, and in war.
Supporting Employees Who Serve Our Nation
Serving Our Communities
Hiring Our Heroes Program
American Water’s Military Services Group has the honor of maintaining a strong and on-going partnership with the Department of Defense through the Utilities Privatization (UP) Program. Through UP, our contracts allow us to serve as the water and wastewater utility system owner at 17 military installations across the United States. Delivering the fundamental day to day needs of our service men, women, and their families is a great responsibility, and our main priority. To learn more about American Water Military Services Group, visit: amwater.com/militaryservices
American Water’s Director of Corporate Procurement and National Categories and U.S. Army reservist Michael Rich shared his perspective on what it means to the Guard and Reserve to receive such a visible sign of support from his employer.
Rich joined the company in March 2017, about a month into his new position, the Army deployed Rich to Belize on a relief mission. He was worried about how his supervisor and the company would react to his two-week leave, but upon his return he was assured his service was appreciated and his job was safe.
“I came back to the company and I was greeted with open arms by my boss,” said Rich. “The company took care of me in terms of benefits and pay to make sure I was kept whole. And the COO [at the time] of the company, Walter Lynch, put me on his calendar and wanted to meet me. It’s that important to this company. To me, that’s what makes a great company.”
- American Water signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) on October 31, 2016 with Army PaYS. The Partnership for Youth Success (PaYS) helps match soldiers with participating businesses most in need of their particular skill set. Soldiers can sign up to participate in PaYS and choose the job and company they are most qualified for during the enlistment process. Upon completion of their military training and/or first term of service, soldiers participating in PaYS will be guaranteed a job interview at the PaYS partner company of their choice.
- On June 13, 2017 American Water signed a Statement of Support with Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR). American Water supports employee participation in the military. Supportive employers are critical to maintaining the strength and readiness of the Nation’s Guard and Reserve units.
- American Corporate Partners (ACP) is a national non-profit organization dedicated to helping post 9/11 veterans transition to the private sector through one-on-one mentoring relationships with corporate professionals. ACP is not a job placement program; rather, it is designed to assist veterans in their career development through mentorship, networking, and career guidance. Click here to learn about American Water’s partnership with ACP and what our employees are doing to support America’s veterans.
- American Water is proud of our partnership with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Hiring Our Heroes initiative which is a nationwide effort to connect veterans, transitioning service members, and military spouses with meaningful employment opportunities. The company offers a 12-week training program for transitioning military veterans.
- The company's partnership with G.I. Jobs (Viqtory Media) assists in recruiting interested military veterans to careers at American Water. The organization has been the premier brand in military recruitment that provides military transition articles, tips and online tools to explore different career and post-secondary education options.
- American Water’s strategic partnership with HirePurpose provides career guidance to help transitioning military talent to civilian life. HirePurpose partners with organizations to bring education and job opportunities across various industries.
- American Water Earns 2021 Military Friendly® Gold Employer, Spouse Employer and Supplier Diversity Designations.
- American Water Named One of the 100 Most Sustainable U.S. Companies by Barron’s Magazine.
- American Water was ranked number 9 on Corporate Knights 17th annual Global 100 list of the World’s Most Sustainable Corporations, and was also included in the Corporate Knights Clean 200 list with a rank of 92nd.
- American Water was one of 380 companies selected for the 2021 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index (GEI) which distinguishes companies committed to transparency in gender reporting and advancing women’s equality.
- Secretary of Defense Dr. Mark T. Esper named American Water one of 15 recipients of the 2020 Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award (Freedom Award), by the Department of Defense’s Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) Program.
- Military Times awards American Water with Best for Vets for 2019.
- Top Scorer on the Disability Equality Index for Disability Friendly.
- VIQTORY announced Military Friendly® employers. American Water achieves Gold level status which means our results were within 10% of the 10th ranked organization.
- VIQTORY announced Military Spouse Friendly® employers. American Water is one of 106 organizations awarded with this recognition.
- Military Times awards American Water with Best for Vets Employer for 2018.
- American Water is ranked as one of the leading companies for diversity, governance, & transparency in the Philadelphia region.
- American Water named to the newly-launched NAACP Equity, Inclusion & Empowerment Index.
- Victory Media announced Military Friendly® employers. American Water achieves Bronze level status which means our results were within 40% of the 10th ranked organization.
- U.S. Veterans Magazine recognized American Water as a veteran-friendly company and for having a veteran-friendly supplier diversity program.
- American Water was approved for Military Spouse Employment Partnership (MSEP) partnership.
- American Water was honored by The Forum of Executive Women as a Champion of Board Diversity for 2018.
- American Water is recognized as a 2019 member of the Bloomberg Gender Equity Index.
- American Water partnered with the Paradigm for Parity® coalition and announced its commitment to further support inclusion and diversity efforts across its corporate leadership structure by 2030 as well as show support for the same actions in corporations across the U.S.
Military families and spouses are valued members of our community and we welcome your experience and diversity of skills. American Water offers great career opportunities, tuition reimbursement, paid time off, excellent compensation and other savings opportunities (401k/ESPP).
- In recognition of the commitment that our dedicated employees have made to our company and our country, American Water has revised the corporate policy pertaining to Leaves of Absence to help make sure our military reservists maintain their regular pay and benefits during annual exercise/duties.
- Our Leaves of Absence policy (POL-HR03) now provides temporary paid leave, in addition to the paid extended leave already provided, for “Uniformed Services” during an employee’s national service for up to ten days. It applies to all full-time and part-time employees.
MOS Code to Civilian Occupations Translator
Click here to access a translator tool to convert your MOS code to a civilian occupation. Upon searching, you will be presented with a list of civilian occupation titles that match your military skill set. From the results list, you can easily see which jobs match civilian occupations that you desire (Ex:92W = Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant and System Operators).