EMPLOYEE & COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
Our success is based significantly on the trust and confidence our customers and investors have in the quality and reliability of our services and our employees who deliver them. This means, of course, that we must commit to act ethically and properly, with respect and honor toward others, and make that commitment an essential part of our working lives.
Most importantly, at American Water, we want all of our employees to rally around our purpose – to deliver safe, clean, reliable and affordable water and wastewater services to our customers – and our vision, Clean Water for Life. What we do every day matters. Water is necessary for our customers' health and how they live their lives every day.
We believe our culture drives performance that ultimately leads to success – for our employees, our customers and our investors. We also believe engaged employees make us safer, operate better, and helps us grow. Engaged employees lead to satisfied customers and sustained financial and operating performance. Our strategy is centered on what’s best for the customer. At our best, we are caring, passionate, engaged and embrace our differences.
Our culture is based on our core values:
• a safety first mindset in everything we do, at work and at home, in our offices, plants, and in the field;
• trust among employees, employees and management, the company and our customers and communities, as well as policymakers, developed over time with open, honest communication and doing what’s right;
• environmental leadership that goes well beyond compliance to industry-leading performance and protection of our natural resources and the environment;
• teamwork: we leverage our diverse talent and work together on common goals, we share ideas, look out for one another and feel free to challenge the status quo.
• high performance: we believe in being the best, we embrace continuous improvement, we think big and innovate, and we are committed to meeting or exceeding our goals each year.
Work with us, and you won’t just have a job. You’ll have a calling.
American Water employees take great pride in their role of delivering safe, clean, reliable water service to the communities we serve. Many of our employees also demonstrate a deep commitment to these communities by volunteering their time, resources and expertise in neighborhood organizations, charitable activities, local boards and other benevolent endeavors.
AmerICANs in Action month of community service, benefitting 90 community organizations and events. Our annual United Way giving campaign raised nearly $350,000 in 2018, and our partnership with Water For People resulted in approximately $200,000 in donations to help bring safe water and sanitation to underdeveloped countries.
As a water utility, American Water considers itself a steward of the environment. Through our various Environmental Grant programs, in 2018, funding of $188,000 was provided to 49 projects throughout our service territories that enhance or protect our waterways.
American Water Charitable Foundation supported 325 organizations that our employees care about, matching their volunteer hours or charitable donation with approximately $630,000 to maintain their good works.
Giving back is fundamental to our culture, and our employees do so with joy and enthusiasm. Providing outstanding service, and helping make our communities better, is the American Water way.