Expressing the Importance of Watershed Protection Through Art
ELIGIBILITY: The contest is open to fourth-, fifth-, and sixth-grade students in schools served by Pennsylvania American Water. The contest can serve as a classroom project, and individual submissions from students who live within the company’s service territory are also welcomed.
ARTWORK: All artwork must be the student’s original work. Artwork should be horizontal and on standard, white 8.5” x 11” paper. Acceptable media are paint (water colors or oil), colored pencil, markers or pastels.
THEME: Entries should reflect positive messages about why our watersheds are valuable and how we can protect them.
HOW TO ENTER: Entries can be submitted online or by mail and must include a completed entry form.
- By mail: Entries must by mailed flat or rolled in a tube - no folding, please! If mailing flat, please use cardboard or similar material to protect the artwork during mailing. Attach entry form to the back of artwork (no paper clips or staples) and mail to:
Attn: Lorrie Page
Pennsylvania American Water
852 Wesley Drive
Mechanicsburg, PA 17055
- Online: Entrants may upload a high-resolution photo of their artwork, along with an entry form, using the link provided at the top of this page. Please make sure the artwork is centered and the photo is cropped appropriately. A scanner may also be used to capture the image.
RIGHTS TO ARTWORK: Submissions become property of Pennsylvania American Water. Through submission of artwork, contestants and their legal guardians grant non-exclusive reproduction and publication rights to the works submitted, which will not be returned.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: All entries must be submitted online or postmarked by Earth Day, April 22, 2023. We are not responsible for entries that are late or lost in the mail.
JUDGING: Entries will be judged in April. The judges will consider creative vision, artistic talent, an understanding of watershed protection and an ability to communicate that message. Winners will be announced on Pennsylvania American Water’s Facebook page during Drinking Water Week in May. Pennsylvania American Water reserves the right to not award a winner if no entry merits such designation.
PRIZES: Twelve entries will be chosen to be featured in our upcoming “Protect Our Watersheds” calendar.
In addition, a first-, second-, and third-place winner will be selected from each grade.
- 1st Place: $150 bookstore gift card for the student and a celebration for the winner’s class. We will also work with the school to recognize your commitment to the environment through the local media.
- 2nd Place: $75 bookstore gift card for the student
- 3rd Place: $50 bookstore gift card for the student
- Grand Prize Winner: First place prizes, plus student’s artwork will be printed on the cover of our “Protect Our Watersheds” calendar and bookmark.
- All Entrants: Watershed Champion Certificate
FOR MORE INFORMATION: please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Artwork by Cumberland County sixth grader Colton Stamy earned the 2022 grand prize.