California American Water Offers Customers Disaster Relief Protections
SAN DIEGO (Jan. 14, 2020) – California American Water has a new plan to help customers when disaster strikes. The Disaster Relief plan will enable customers affected by natural disasters to engage a host of benefits, including deposit waivers, collection suspension and bill cancellation for those whose homes are destroyed.
These protections would begin as soon as an official disaster is declared and are designed to take stress off customers during their time of need.
“When disaster strikes, the last thing you want to think about is your water bill,” said California American Water president Rich Svindland. “These state approved measures will hopefully help customers out and give them less one thing to worry as they recover from disaster. And the best part is these benefits kick in automatically when a disaster is declared.”
Some of these disaster relief measures include:
- Work cooperatively with customers to resolve unpaid bills and minimize disconnections for non-payment
- Waiver of deposit requirements for customers for 1 year
- Waiver of connection or facility fees for affected customers
- Waive bills for victims who lose their homes or whose homes are rendered uninhabitable
- Offer a pro rata waiver of any fixed element of a bill for the time the home is uninhabitable
- Other protections ordered by the Commission or judged appropriate by the utility.
About California American Water: California American Water, a subsidiary of American Water (NYSE: AWK), provides high-quality and reliable water and/or wastewater services to more than 690,000 California residents. Information regarding California American Water’s service areas can be found on the company’s website www.californiaamwater.com.
About American Water: With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,100 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to more than 14 million people in 46 states and Ontario, Canada. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit www.amwater.com.
Media Contact: Evan Jacobs
Dir. Regulatory Policy