Sometimes customers face circumstances that stretch their financial resources. California American Water is here to assist. Our customer service representatives will work with you on a plan to pay the balance of your bill over time. You may also be qualified to receive assistance through our Customer Assistance Program.


California American Water takes great pride in its ability to provide safe, reliable, and affordable water to its customers. Water service is vital, and affordability is key. To support the affordability of water service for our residential customers, California American Water is launching its Multi-Family Assistance Pilot Program (MAPP) that provides utility financial assistance to eligible residents in the City of Imperial Beach

Given the severity of the economic downturn that accompanied the COVID-19 pandemic, California American Water sought and received approval from the California Public Utilities Commission to implement MAPP.

MAPP is being offered to City of Imperial Beach residents who receive electric and gas utility assistance under the California Alternate Rate Energy (CARE) program and who receive water from California American Water through a master meter (for example, meters at apartment complexes, condominiums, or mobile home parks). These residents are not direct California American Water customers, but they do receive water service which is billed to their landlord, complex, or property owner.

The company’s program administrator, Dollar Energy Fund, Inc. (Dollar Energy Fund), will implement MAPP and contact eligible Imperial Beach residents directly with a letter and a postcard in the mail. Those who receive the letter will be asked to return the enclosed postcard to enroll in MAPP.

Once enrolled, eligible residents will be mailed a check in the amount of $45.48 to defer any portion of, or increase in, their rent due to water consumption. Future payments, which may differ in amount, will then be sent on a quarterly basis.

Imperial Beach residents that receive a letter and have questions are encouraged to contact Dollar Energy Fund at


American Water is committed to our communities and to keeping the water and life flowing for our customers. One way we do this is through our customer assistance programs. If you’re experiencing financial hardship, please reach out to find out more about the programs available in your state.

LIHWAP is a federal emergency program to help low-income families pay their overdue water and wastewater bills. You can receive financial assistance for your past due water and/or wastewater bill up to $15,000 per household (amount increased to $15,00 in 2023). Since the funding is provided by a federal grant, you do not have to repay it.

LIHWAP will be able to assist our customers who are behind on their drinking water and wastewater bills to help keep their service active. Customers must qualify and apply for the LIHWAP program through their county’s designated service provider. For more information about how LIHWAP can help your household pay down your past due water or wastewater bills, please contact the correct service provider in your area from the list below.

The Department of Community Services and Development (CSD) is the designated administering agency for LIHWAP in California. Visit the CSD website for more information on the program:


List of LIHWAP Service Providers by County

For Communities: Bradbury, Duarte, Irwindale, Ladera Heights, Monrovia, San Gabriel, and San Marino

Agency: Maravilla Foundation

How to Apply:  Call (323) 721-4162 to request a LIHWAP application.

More Information:  Visit


For Communities: Azusa, El Monte, Rosemead, and Temple City

Agency: Long Beach Community Action Partnership

How to Apply:  Complete an application (English or Spanish), then call 1-888-351-4061 to make an appointment. Note, call volume is extremely high, and it may take up to an hour to get through.

More Information:  Visit


For Communities: Baldwin Hills, Viewpark, and Windsor Hills

Agency: Pacific Asian Consortium in Employment (PACE)

How to Apply:  Call (213) 989-3177 to request an appointment for a LIHWAP application or visit the PACE office at 1055 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 900E, Los Angeles, CA 90017

More Information: Call (213) 353-3982 or visit

Agency: Community Action Partnership of Madera County (CAPMC), Inc.

How to Apply: Call (559) 673-9173 to make an appointment to receive an application for the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program.

More Information: Visit the CAPMC offices for more information at 225 Gill Ave. Madera, CA 93637.

Agency: Merced County Community Action Agency

How to Apply: Call (209) 723-3201 to schedule an appointment with an intake worker for the Low Income Household Waster Assistance Program. Phone lines are open Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m..

More Information: Call (209) 723-4565

Agency: Central Coast Energy Services (CCES)

How to Apply: Complete an Interest Form for LIHWAP on CCES’ website and the agency will contact you to collect qualifying information. Forms can be submitted in English or Spanish.

More Information: Call (831) 726-8817 or visit

Agency: Project GO, Inc

How to Apply: Call 1-888-524-5705 and PRESS 3 for LIHWAP. If the voicemail box is full, call back the following day (9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1 – 4 p.m., Mon-Fri). Once you leave a message, a program assistant will return your call within 1-3 business days and begin your application over the phone. A packet of information will then be sent to you with instructions for gathering and submitting qualifying information, such as pay stubs and utility bills.

If your household is facing a water shut off due to non-payment, call (916) 782-3443 for immediate assistance.

More Information: Call 1-888-524-5705 or email

Agency: Community Resource Project (CRP)

How to Apply: Complete an application for “Utility Bill Assistance” on CRP’s website on Monday or Tuesday. Forms are completed and submitted completely online. If you are unable to complete an online application, call 916-970-2135 for assistance.

More Information: Call (916) 567-5200 or visit

For Zip Codes: 91901 ,91902, 91903, 91905, 91906, 91910, 91911, 91912, 91913, 91914, 91915, 91916, 91917, 91931, 91932, 91934, 91935, 91947, 91948, 91950, 91962, 91963, 91977, 91978, 91979, 91980, 92014, 92019, 92020, 92021, 92022, 92040, 92066, 92071, 92113, 92114, 92135, 92136, 92139, 92153, 92154, 92173

Agency: MAAC Project (Metropolitan Area Advisory Committee)

How to Apply: Visit to complete an online screening. You will then be contacted by MAAC.  

More Information: Visit or call (619) 349-0123


For All Other Zip Codes in San Diego County

Agency: Campesinos Unidos, Inc.

How to Apply: Call (619) 391-9790 to apply for the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program. A representative will set up an appointment with you to review your qualifications and complete the application.

More Information: Call (619) 391-9790, email, or visit

Agency: North Coast Energy Services (NCES) Inc

How to Apply: Complete a “Water Assistance Program” application on NCES’ website (English or Spanish). Visit to download the application. Complete the form and return it to North Coast Energy Services, Inc, 110 Coddingtown Ctr., Santa Rosa, CA 95401.

More Information: Call (707) 495-4417 or visit

Agency: Community Action of Ventura County (CAVC)

How to Apply: Call (805) 436-4021 to request an application or click here to download it. Completed applications should be returned via mail or drop off to 621 Richmond Ave., Oxnard CA 93030, or via fax to (805) 204-4887

More Information: Call (805) 436-4000 or visit

Agency: North Coast Energy Services (NCES) Inc

How to Apply: Complete a “Water Assistance Program” application on NCES’ website (English or Spanish). Visit to download the application. Complete the form and return it to North Coast Energy Services, Inc, 1250 Harter Ave. Ste. F, Yolo ,CA 95776.

More Information: Call (530) 669- 5700 or visit


If you cannot pay your water or wastewater bill by the due date, please contact our customer service center immediately, before the due date. Our customer service representatives are available at 888-237-1333. They will work with you on a plan to pay the balance of your bill over time.

These payment arrangements may require you to:

  • Pay at least 25 percent of your bill within 48 hours of your call
  • Pay the rest of the bill, including any applicable late payment charge, according to an agreed upon schedule, not to exceed 12 months
  • Pay all future bills as they become due
  • Only customers who have not broken similar agreements in the past twelve months are eligible to make these payment arrangements


Sometimes having a predictable water bill helps with financial planning. Budget Billing is a free service available to eligible residential customers. The program makes managing your cash flow easier by providing predictable monthly payments and avoiding seasonal spikes that may be difficult to pay when not planned for in advance. Visit MyWater or call 1-888-237-1333 to sign up for Budget Billing.


At California American Water, we believe fresh, clean water is a resource that should be made available to everyone. That’s why we developed our Customers Assistance Program to provide assistance to families undergoing financial hardship.

With this program, eligible water and wastewater customers can apply for a monthly discount on their charges. If your household meets the necessary requirements, assistance will be provided in the form of a monthly discount on your water or wastewater charges.
To qualify for Customer Assistance Program

  • You must be an individually metered or flat-rate residential customer.
  • The California American Water Bill must be in your name.
  • You may not be claimed as a dependent on another person’s tax return.
  • You must reapply each time you change your personal residence.
  • You must renew your application every two years, or sooner, if requested.
  • California American Water must be notified within 30 days if you become ineligible for the Customers Assistance Program.

To apply to the Customers Assistance Program, please complete this online application or print and complete this paper application and mail it to the address listed at the top of the application.

For further information about the Customers Assistance Program or your California American Water service, please call us at 888-237-1333.