Illinois American Water, a subsidiary of American Water (NYSE: AWK), is the largest investor-owned water utility in the state, providing high-quality and reliable water and/or wastewater services to approximately 1.3 million people. American Water also operates a customer service center in Alton and a quality control and research laboratory in Belleville.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 6,400 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 14 million people in 24 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing.
Here in Illinois, we:
- Serve 146 communities in 13 operating districts
- Provide high-quality water and/or wastewater service to 1.3 million residents
- Operate 18 water treatment plants with an average daily delivery of 113 million gallons per day
- Operate 17 wastewater treatment plants
- Maintain 5,718 miles of water and sewer pipeline
- Maintain over 32,000 fire hydrants
- Maintain 114 water storage facilities
- Maintain 214 water and wastewater pumping stations
Our greatest assets are our employees:
We employ approximately 500 employees, 60% of which are represented by a union. We have over 125 certified Water Operators and over 80 Class A Water Operators.
Our Service Area: