FOR NEW CUSTOMERS
Welcome, New Customers!
Tennessee American Water is your local water company.
As a customer of Tennessee American Water, you’re in the company of approximately 390,000 people in Tennessee and northern Georgia who, like you, depend on us to provide clean, safe, reliable and affordable water service. We know just how far water reaches into your daily life, and we’re committed to making sure your water is accessible and meets or surpasses quality standards.
Helping you is our number one priority and we take pride in providing you with peace of mind with round-the-clock customer service and easy-to-use resources such as online bill payment capabilities, tools to view your water usage, turning your water on or off and reporting emergencies.
New Customer Booklet
For more information about Tennessee American Water, including the services we provide, our payment options and how to read your bill, view our Welcome to Tennessee American Water brochure for new customers.
For Residential Customers:
Have you just moved in and want your water service turned on? There are two convenient ways to schedule an appointment to have your water service activated at a time that’s convenient for you:
Online: Visit https://amwater.com/myaccount.
Call us: 1-866-736-6420, M-F, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Questions and Answers about the New Water Service Inquiry Process
Is there a fee for installation of a service?
- Upon review of your new water service request, Tennessee American Water will determine if the customer will be responsible for any of the associated installation.
- For service to your home, the fee is $15 and it is applied to your first bill.
- For other types of service such as irrigation, fire protection, commercial, etc there is a different fee schedule. The application for these services will indicate the fee to be paid and need to be paid in advance.
How long does the service installation process take?
- Your application will be processed within 5-10 business days upon receipt.
- If fees are to be paid in advance, you will receive a reminder to do so.
- Tennessee American Water will apply for any street opening permits, any other required permits, request a utility markout, and schedule the service for installation.
- The entire process can take up to 16 weeks, based upon receipt of payment, receipt of an approved street opening permit, and the order of your request.
After the service is installed, how do I do I activate service to have the water turned on?
- When you are ready to have the water turned on for the newly installed service, we will schedule our Field Operations to install the meter and turn on the water service.
What happens if a water main does not front my property?
- We will refer you to the engineering department if a main is not available near your property. Additional information regarding main extensions and the Developer Service process can be found on our Developer Services page or you may email TNAWEngineering@amwater.com
Are you a developer or property owner that’s looking to extend water service to a newly constructed home or business?
If you are and would like to extend water and/or wastewater infrastructure to a new project either within or near an existing Tennessee American Water service area, please visit our Developer Services Resource Page for more information. We look forward to working with you!
Are you interested in learning more about our company and services? Here are some helpful and informative links.