ENVIRONMENTAL GRANT PROGRAM
Our commitment to protecting the environment runs deep and we’re proud to support the efforts of local organizations that share our vision.
Established in 2005, our annual Environmental Grant Program offers funding for innovative, community-based environmental projects that improve, restore or protect the watersheds, surface water and groundwater supplies in our local communities.
We are pleased to offer assistance to community partners to help make a positive impact on the environment, and we encourage you to apply.
To qualify for Environmental Grant funding, a proposed project must be:
- Located within an American Water service area
- Completed between May and November of the grant funding year
- Be a new or innovative community initiative, or serve as significant expansion to an existing program.
Entries for Tennessee should be sent to by March 31, 2021:
Tennessee American Water
109 Wiehl Street
Chattanooga, TN 37403
In 2020, Tennessee American Water issued four grants totaling $10,000 to the following organizations
- Lookout Mountain Conservancy - Through a unique internship program with The Howard School, 9th grade Environmental Science class uses LMC's property as an outdoor classroom for making learning real and active. Students work on projects at the Conservancy that contributes to watershed protection such as the removal of invasive plants.
- WaterWays brings professional engineers and Red Bank High School engineering students together through a mentorship. The high school students in turn partner with Red Bank Elementary School students to implement improvement projects at Mountain Creek.
- Hamilton County Coalition utilizes funding to increase community and regional pharmaceutical collection and proper disposal to protect water sources. The grant has allowed expansion to surrounding counties.
- City of East Ridge coordinates an ongoing effort with the City and community members to remove debris and trash from Spring and South Chickamauga Creeks. Also, natural materials are installed for bank stabilization.