Tap water costs about a penny a gallon in most communities and using it can save you money and help protect the environment. There are many reasons to choose tap water over bottled water. Here are a few of them:
- Tap water is inexpensive. Tap water is typically available from the faucet for less than a penny a gallon as a national average.
- Tap water is regulated for safety. Tap water is regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and must meet stringent quality requirements. Water treatment plants that provide tap water must be tested multiple times per day, and every water provider in the country is required to provide consumers with detailed water quality reports to assure its compliance with EPA standards.
- Water is the best choice for hydration. It is recommended that you consume at least eight to 10 glasses of water each day, but the ideal amount varies with the individual and conditions such as activity. Medical experts agree that in hot and humid weather, you need to consume extra quantities of water because of the loss of water through sweat.
- Most plastic disposable bottles are never recycled. According to the Container Recycling Institute, 85% of plastic water bottles end up in the trash even though they are made of recyclable materials. Americans throw away an average of 38 billion water bottles a year, which won't biodegrade for 1,000 years.
- Use of refillable bottles, stainless steel or plastic, will be a valuable "lesson" for kids and set them on a path towards responsible environmental practices. You'll be putting more than a reusable bottle in their backpack - you'll be inspiring the next generation of environmentally conscious consumers.