Pennsylvania American Water, a subsidiary of American Water (NYSE: AWK), is the largest investor owned water utility in the state, providing high-quality and reliable water and/or wastewater services to approximately 2.4 million people. Each year, Pennsylvania American Water invests approximately $300 million-$350 million to upgrade our water and wastewater systems. These investments are necessary to improve treatment facilities, storage tanks, wells and pumping stations to ensure that your water and wastewater service meets all regulatory standards. In addition, we proactively replace aging pipes, valves, service lines and other parts of our early more than 11,000-mile network of water and sewer main to enhance water quality, service reliability and fire protection for the communities we serve.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. American Water employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to more than 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to make sure we keep their lives flowing.
Here in Pennsylvania, we:
- Serve more than 408 communities in 36 counties
- Provide high quality water service to 666,000 customers
- Provide wastewater service to 74,000 customers
- Employ approximately 1,100 employees
- Operate 37 water treatment plants with an average daily delivery of 193 million gallons
- Operate 20 wastewater wastewater treatment plants with a combined daily capacity of 59 million gallons
- Maintain 11,300 miles of water and sewer pipeline
- Maintain 265 water storage facilities
- Maintain 367 water and wastewater pumping stations