First launched September 20, 2021, the goal of the 11-week program is to create a career path for qualified individuals within an underserved community in the company’s service areas by helping them identify and pursue utility career opportunities that fit their interests and skills.
In partnership with Hopeworks and Apex Solutions, a total of eight participants from the City of Camden learned about various career paths with the potential of career placement (through the regular interview process) after graduating the program in 2021. A second cohort is scheduled to take place from September 12 through November 30, 2022 with participants local to the company’s Plainfield Operating Center.
During the program, the participants learn water utility and other essential business training to equip them with the skills needed to successfully enter the industry upon graduation as an Operations Specialist, Utility Mechanic, or another entry level position.
The curriculum includes:
- Water Systems, Water Quality and Distribution
- Safety in the field and OSHA 30 Certification
- Touring New Jersey American Water treatment plants and operations centers
- On the job utility training/observation
- Customer Service
- Microsoft office tools
- Teamwork and Leadership
- Financial Literacy and Trade Mathematics
- Resume Writing, Business Etiquette, and Interview Preparation
- Diversity & Inclusion and Ethics