Investing Over $400 Million in System Invesments Statewide
New Jersey American Water invests approximately $400 million annually — more than $1 million a day — in its treatment and distribution facilities. Large investments, such as water plants and tanks, have high visibility, however, a significant portion of our investment also goes toward upgrading underground water mains. These projects help to improve water quality, service reliability and fire protection for the communities we serve. And, they create jobs. For every $1 million invested in water infrastructure, it is estimated that 16 jobs are created.
In 2021 alone, New Jersey American Water invested more than $432 million was invested on system upgrades and important improvement projects across the company’s service areas throughout the year.
“Our goal at New Jersey American Water is to provide safe, reliable water and wastewater service to all of our customers,” said Mark McDonough, president of New Jersey American Water. “From source to tap and back to the source again, our team of professionals works hard to maintain our facilities to keep them operating efficiently, meeting regulatory standards and delivering high quality water and wastewater service.”
Each year, New Jersey American Water invests millions of dollars in its infrastructure, which includes both maintenance and upgrades to its treatment systems and distribution, or pipeline, system. This includes regular maintenance and upgrades to treatment plants, tanks, pump stations, miles of pipe, water mains, fire hydrants and metering equipment.
For 2021, system improvement highlights include:
- Mains: The company invested $161.5 million to install more than 71 miles of main to replace and rehabilitate aging pipe and install new main to serve additional areas. Pipe improvement projects help improve water quality, pressure, fire protection and service reliability. In addition, approximately $3.5 million in leak detection equipment was invested to enhance our ability to respond to leaks and breaks.
- Source Water, Treatment and Other Production System Improvements: New Jersey American Water spent over $87.4 million for improvements at its water treatment facilities, including:
- Raritan Millstone Water Treatment Plant - filter rehabilitation and water treatment residual press
- Swimming River Water Treatment Plant – second clearwell, electrical upgrades and emergency power
- Canal Road Water Treatment Plant - treatment upgrades and sedimentation basin improvements
- Delaware River Regional Water Treatment Plant - treatment improvements
- Diamond Hill Station - booster upgrades
- Various facilities around the state - automation and control system upgrades
- Fire Hydrants: The company replaced 548 fire hydrants and 2430 valves, an approximately $16.3 million investment.
- Service Lines: New Jersey American Water replaced 9,006 service lines; an investment totaling approximately $31.7 million.
- Tanks/Storage: New Jersey American Water rehabilitated four water tanks and conducted detailed inspections on 109 tanks, an investment totaling approximately $9.5 million.
New Jersey residents in 190 communities, count on us to keep their water safe, clean and reliable. By constantly upgrading our infrastructure, we aim to keep it that way. Think of it as your water bill at work – right in your own neighborhood.
Why Are Capital Investments so Important?
According to the 2021 Report Card by the American Society of Civil Engineers, New Jersey has $8.6 billion in drinking water infrastructure needs and $17.5 billion in wastewater infrastructure needs. Success in a 21st-century economy requires serious, sustained leadership on infrastructure investment at all levels of government. Delaying these investments only escalates the cost and risks of an aging infrastructure system, an option that the country, New Jersey, and families can no longer afford.
That’s why New Jersey American Water, proactively replaces aging pipe and upgrades our facilities to continue to deliver reliable service, high-quality water and fire protection.
Some Examples of our Recent Improvements
In 2021, New Jersey American Water provided over $1.3 million in community giving. To learn more, visit our News and Community Page.